Page Revised: 10 May 2019
There's sometimes a point when, as much as you love your Cougar, you might want to make it more of your own car. We're big fans of people customizing cars, and while modifying cars in general is certainly not a new thing, modifying a Fox Cougar can be challenging, frustrating, rewarding, and satisfying. All at the same time, we may add. There is not an easy road ahead of you, that's for sure. So what we'd like to do is give you a heads-up about some of the common ways to modify your Cougar, from inside to outside, top to bottom, front to back. Whether you're looking to just improve upon a few things or are going for a full custom look, this is the section for you.
As always, we'll guide you along the way but remember: you're modifying your car at your own risk and we assume no responsibilities for your actions (see our disclaimer for more details). If you have some information that you'd like us to add here, or have a general comment about modifying, feel free to contact us.
Note: Modifications listed below are for all 1983-88 Cougar/Thunderbird models, unless specified otherwise.
- Standard-to-High Output 5.0L V8 Conversion — 1986-88 V8 Models
- Mid-Output 5.0L V8 Conversion — 1986-88 V8 Models
- High Output 5.0L V8 Transplant
- 5.0L HO Mass Air Conversion — Converted or Transplanted 5.0L HO Speed Density Cougars ONLY
- TBI-to-Carb Conversion — CFI V6 & V8 Models
- High Torque Starter Upgrade
- AOD Transmission NEW!
- T-5 Manual Transmission Conversion — 5.0L V8
- Ford Borg-Warner T-5 Manual Transmission Data
- Column-to-Floor Shifter Conversion - AOD
- Column-to-Floor Shifter Conversion - C5
- Aftermarket Control Arms
- High Performance Shocks & Struts
- Upgrading Springs
- Upgrading The Steering Rack
- Adding Caster/Camber Plates
- Upgrading Sway Bars
- Adding A Pinion Snubber
- Frame & Structure Reinforcements
- LED Lighting Conversion NEW!
- Headlight/Side Marker Modification
- Sequential Turn Signals
- Adding Electroluminescent Coach Lamps
- Taillight Modifications
INTERIOR & ELECTRONIC
- Instrument Cluster Swap — 1985-88 Models
- 4-to-6/8 Cylinder Analog Tach Conversion — 1985-88 Models
- 140mph Analog Speedometer Conversion — 1985-88 Models
- 199mph Digital Speedometer Conversion — 1985-88 Models
- "S" Removal from Digital Speedometer — 1985-88 Models
- Custom Gauges
- Tripminder Computer Installation
- Rotary Heater Panel Conversion
- Console Installation — 1985-88 Models
- Bluetooth 8-Track Adapter